Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Finding Statistics and Government Information 3/14

I decided to use a government source website. When I went to the link “ http://www.usa.gov/ “ I searched the key words of my topic “school shooting.” It was then I realized that USA.gov was a database for government operated websites. When I typed in the key words a list of official websites popped up. I personally felt that the FBI website was best fit for my topic, because genocide and shootings are usually a federal matter. The site gave me accurate information that has not yet been published in a book or encyclopedia due to how recent these events have occurred. There was also information that I had yet to discover. As a matter of fact The site gave me statistics that would complement a sub-note in my topic. Overall this site has helped me the most out of them all, and I plan on using it again in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Alex,
    I'm glad to hear that you found a great way to find sources for your research project! I agree, because shootings and genocides are a federal offence, the information on gov. sites will prove to be more accurate (so I believe). My brother is an Atlanta police officer, and I know they have to do a lot of paperwork for any problems they face; especially if it evolves shooting. So good luck with finding more statistical/ Gov sources. Maybe try something local at the Atl. Police Department?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex, this is Glenda. I enjoyed listening at you in presenting your topic. You chose a good topic. The things you talked about were very interesting. I remembered when the shootings took place and what a horrible experience it was for the world to deal with. I look forward to hearing more about the topic in the future. You did a good job. Good luck in finding out more information on your topic. I am looking forward to hearing what you will have to say.

    Glenda

    Reply

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex, I really like your topic because it is so recent and people still have so many questions about what happened. I do feel as though you question could be altered just a little bit because I am not entirely sure how you can two different stances on the question. I can see how it would be difficult to find articles seeing as how the event is so recent but I do believe that the Psychology specific database would be helpful for you. The database may not have specific articles about the Sandy Hook Shooting, but it may give you some insight into the psychology background!

    ReplyDelete